Wednesday, April 1, 2009

and on the 52nd day, she blogged

Fifty-two days in. The Day was beautiful - some parts were a blur, but I remember three things with amazing clarity: 1) his smile as I met him at the altar, 2) how surprisingly overcome I was at the statement of intentions (maybe the only time in my entire life I've been rendered speechless), and 3) how bouyant I felt all day. For lack of a better description, I felt like people were carrying us around on their shoulders, or on chairs like in a Jewish Hora. The outpouring of love was immense. We didn't think many people would come to the actual wedding ceremony, and we were cool with that. As long as our close family was at the church, everyone could show up to party at the reception and that would have been awesome. But so many people came to the church, and it reminded us how blessed we are to have all of these people in our lives.

People have asked us how things have changed since and it takes serious thought before coming up with anything, really, since we lived together for so long before taking the plunge. (And that word, 'plunge,' that's a stretch - it's more of a gentle wade-in, I'd say, because 'plunge' implies high-risk behavior, the outcome of which is more uncertain than anything else.) Things have changed, though. I feel ... sewn-in now. As a semi-claustrophobe in matters of elevators and the heart, I'm surprised at how much serenity this brings. He is not the one that so many years ago I would ever have imagined loving, let alone marrying. He's not the one that I expected to love me. He's not the one I expected to date for more than a month. He is just, the one.

These 52 days have been filled with love (praise God!), relief (that we'll never have to plan another wedding, ever), adjustment (to weird schedules, changing roles, new names), friction (from surprising sources, like shrimp skewers and gondolas), and laughter (always). His new job has been the catalyst of many changes - like our new wake-up call (3:30 a.m.) and my experimental new role as household cook. Many more changes are on the horizon, but for now, I'm enjoying the time we spend together.

This might be the only entry of its kind (deeply reflective and slightly smushy) in this blog. Really I just wanted a new space to jot a few daily thoughts on married life - e.g. Am I becoming the primary household cook, and if so, how do I stop that from happening feel about that?; The great sandwich conundrum; Budget woes ... etc. I did create a profile at thenest.com but quickly abandoned it because 1) it's too "we-centric" for my liking and 2) the discussion boards are way too cliquey; frankly, it is very easy for me to jump on a Snark Bandwagon and I just don't need that much negativity in my daily weblife.

So. Marriedness blog. Here we are. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment